Our dentists told us it’s OK to eat candy – just not if we have braces, or loose fillings, or abscessed molars, or a toothache, headache, jaw pain, or any other dental malady.
And we should try to stay away from the real sugary stuff, or sticky, gooey, and tacky treats like fairy floss.
You know what, the crunchy, hard, and chewy stuff too, while we’re at it. And we need to be sure to brush our teeth before bedtime…does this sound familiar at all??
If we remove all of that from our kids’ trick or treat bags, what’s going to be left?
Nobody likes healthy treats, at least not on Halloween…au contraire mon maman. It’s all in the presentation and outside stimulus control; we need to get deep inside the minds of our kids, and rattle around some pots and pans in their mental kitchen.
Parents need to flip the script for once. To that end, we’ve compiled this Top 10 List of Healthy Halloween Treats.
Good luck passing off a pretzel for a peanut butter cup, or a blueberry for a Butterfinger®!
Hey, we’re not here to discuss how to get our kids to nosh on the healthy treats, and not the sugar laden incendiary adrenaline provoking candied belly bombs we all had in our bags when we were younger.
We’ll leave that up to the mommy bloggers and not so silly nannies.
1. Pretzels – there’s all kinds now, we don’t just need to pick between Rold Gold® and Bachman’s®.
2. Apples – candy ‘em up, drizzle in caramel or almond butter, and roll in some crushed nuts.
3. Beef Jerky – not the slimmer portable hand-held salt stix, real beef jerky, get the hot stuff and freak ‘em out a bit.
4. Goldfish – you know the kind our grandparents remember…starts with a P ends with a Farm…not the swimming kind.
5. Popcorn – could kinda get expensive to hand out the micro corn, but it’s healthier.
6. Raisins – really? a box of stinkin’ raisins? – how bout bake some oatmeal cookies and give ‘em something to pound down immediately.
7. Nuts & Seeds – yeah, real fun, just throw out a bird feeder and let ‘em go nuts!
8. Dried Fruit – isn’t that raisins? make up your own treat bags, grab the boring ol’ nuts and raisins and throw the crusty dry fruit in there. Voila!
9. Snack Packs for Little Jack – anything snack size like animal crackers, graham crackers, baked potato chips, or baked cheese crackers by the name of something we’re not getting paid to promote.
10. Cheese (or PB) & Crackers – you know those convenient little things with the baton rouge…I could go for one right now.
Is that it?
Be forewarned, this sleight of hand toddler trickeration will require expert level negotiating skills and win-win solutions.
Most often these negotiations fall well short of parents intended expectations.
But that won’t happen to you.
The fact remains, in our household Halloween is candy time. Happy Halloween Moms and Kids – and everyone else too!
Have fun and be safe this Halloween. Just because it’s a day to dress up doesn’t mean our collective common sense needs to goes out the window.
But if you require an alternative to dental health insurance for the next round of exams/check-ups/cleanings/and x-rays, go ahead and click this link to save some money on your next bout with the cavity creeps!
And please SLOW down if you’re driving, the kids are so hopped up on sugar they can jump out of nowhere like little spider monkeys!
Please feel free to post your favorite healthy Halloween treats to our Facebook Page, the only way to defeat the cavity creeps is to present a united front!